NEW WILMINGTON, Pa. – The countdown for the inauguration of the first woman to serve as President of Westminster College is underway. The inauguration of Dr. Kathy Brittain Richardson is scheduled for Friday, Oct. 28 at 2:30 in Orr Auditorium. The ceremony is open to the public. She is WC’s 15th President.
Richardson sat down with Dr. David Barner earlier for a Titan Radio interview earlier this semeser. They discussed Richardson’s background as a scholar in religious communications and ethics. She comes to Westminster after serving as a communication professor and the provost at Berry College in Georgia.
Richardson revealed she’s a news junkie and even spent time in an AM radio station. She also talked about her love for teaching communications and journalism. You can listen to the entire interview in the podcast posted with this story.
“I love teaching,” said Richardson. “It has been just a great delight. I have taught every semester except for one in the past 30 years. It’s going to be a change for me not to teach this fall.”
The College will hold a number of scheduled events to celebrate Richardson’s inauguration. They begin on Sunday, Oct. 23 and run through Friday, Oct. 28.
Inauguration Week Schedule of Events
CELEBRATE WESTMINSTER’S HISTORY & HERITAGE
Sunday, Oct. 23
- 2 p.m.- History of the Wallace Memorial Chapel & Open House
- 2 p.m.- McGill Library Archives & Open House
- 7 p.m.- Vespers Service, Wallace Memorial Chapel
CELEBRATE WESTMINSTER’S STUDENTS
Monday, Oct. 24
- 7 p.m. Service Cup Award and Celebration in Berlin Lounge, McKelvey Campus Center
CELEBRATE WESTMINSTER’S ATHLETICS
Tuesday, Oct. 25
- 7 p.m.- Women’s Volleyball Game, Field House
- 7:30 p.m.-Women’s Soccer Game, Burry Stadium
CELEBRATE WESTMINSTER’S ACADEMICS
Wednesday, Oct. 26
- 7 p.m.- Henderson Lecture, Witherspoon-Maple Room, MCC
- 8 p.m.- Henderson Reception
CELEBRATE WESTMINSTER’S ARTS
Thursday, Oct. 27
- 7:30 p.m.- School of Music Concert featuring various student ensembles, Orr Auditorium
- 7–10 p.m.- Foster Art Gallery will be open, Patterson Hall
Friday, Oct. 28
NO CLASSES AFTER 11:30 a.m.
- 11:40 a.m.- Inaugural Chapel Service. Wallace Memorial Chapel
- 2:30 p.m.- Inaugural Ceremony, Orr Auditorium
- 3:45 p.m.= Inaugural Reception, Witherspoon Room, MCC