HARRISBURG, Pa.-- The Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association (PIAA) says high school sports can resume this fall under COVID-19 safety protocols that include barring spectators from the competitions.
High school football and other fall sports will start as scheduled.
PIAA officials announced the guidelines for returning to high school sports on Wednesday.
The PIAA Board of Directors adopted a 26-page return to competition guide that includes extensive rules on conducting practices and games safely in the coronavirus presence.
Some other guidelines include:
- Schools can opt-out of playing a regular-season contest in any sport if they have a COVID-19 concern of another school.
- Athletes must conduct daily health assessment.
- No handshakes after contests.
- Benches in football can be extended to the 10-yard lines to encourage social distancing.
- In football, the coin toss will occur with only the referee and one representative of each team.