PHNOM PENH, Cambodia (AP) — A Cambodian-American lawyer says she's being persecuted for her political opinion as she and dozens of other government critics charged with treason returned to court in a trial criticized by rights advocates. The more than 60 defendants are mostly former members or supporters of the disbanded Cambodia National Rescue Party, which had been the sole credible political opposition until Cambodia’s highest court in late 2017 ordered its dissolution. Many of them are accused of being involved with a failed effort by former opposition leader Sam Rainsy to return from exile in November 2019 to challenge Prime Minister Hun Sen, who has launched a sweeping crackdown on opponents. Lawyer Theary Seng says she won't be intimidated, calling the proceedings a sham trial.
Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
Live Titan Radio Stream
- Titans now have a schedule for swimming and diving season
- Some Pennsylvania Guard will be in Washington until March
- VIDEO! Siroki says first-year players may see action in the season opener
- Titan Radio Crew Prepares for Westminster Basketball Coverage
- PODCAST! WC course explores chemistry in your kitchen
- Capstone student shares journey of loss and grief in microdocumentary "Never Walk Alone"
- LISTEN! Aromanticism-Who Needs Romance?
- Westminster earns three CASE Accolades Awards
- Most Pennsylvania GOP backed Trump to the end, and still do
- Winter Weather Advisory, 6 PM Monday-10 AM Tuesday
- Legislator mocks trans Biden nominee on Facebook, apologizes
- Democratic lawmaker slams Pennsylvania over vaccine rollout
- Lawsuit: NRA's rhetoric spurred deadly synagogue shooting
- Men’s Basketball: Franciscan Game Moved to Wed., Jan. 27
- Pennsylvania Virus Case Increases Near 31,100
- Settlement in racial bias case includes sheriff's apology
- Haase leads Mercer over VMI 83-80
- Lawmakers speed bill to limit a governor’s disaster powers
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.